Thursday, January 30, 2014

7 Wonders of the World


I took the 8 photos above during my travels. They depict the New7Wonders of the world as voted in a public opinion poll in 2007, along with the Pyramids of Giza, the last remaining wonder of the ancient worldMy favorite wonder list is one created my Howard Hillman, he ranks his top 100 wonders here.

These travel lists are common, and can be useful for creating your own personal 'bucket list,' but they are by no means unbiased or definitive. For example, the polling for the New7Wonders was biased towards countries with high populations that organized text messaging campaigns in hopes of increasing tourism. The Christ Redeemer for instance is smaller than 50+ statues around the world, is relatively new, and has little religious importance compared to something like the Vatican. Books also seem to have a bias towards cities in the country of publication. I probably include a lot more things from California because I'm more familiar with it.

Anyway, noticing these issues of subjectivity made me realize I could make my own lists. They are not definitive, I have many more places to explore, and it's completely subjective, ranks are based solely on my person experience. Feel free to post your own, I love to hear of new places to visit. Hopefully you'll be inspired by my lists and pictures the way I was by Howard Hillman's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment